Monday, October 05, 2009

"Wait till you go army."

For years, people have been telling me (albeit incessantly), "wait till you enlist", "wait till you go army", "wait till". Well, tomorrow marks a new chapter in my life. I enlist. !@#$%^&#&$^#

Ready for it? I guess so. 1) Bag packed 2) Fitness is still there 3) Was from NCC, so footdrills, commands and basic attire turnout should be fine too 4) Had fun before enlistment? You bet! I owe a thank you to all who made time to party, have a meal, visit pet shelter, steamboat with me the past 2 weeks.

I am a wee bit pressured though. Everyone's telling me "you sure go OCS". Gee. Thanks. Looking at the "so-called" list of criteria (IPPT, CCA, poly results, etc), I'm pretty confident too. That said, murphy's law (whatever can go wrong, will go wrong) might just come true. In addition, I have to keep my confidence in check. Confidence is healthy, but tread beyond and you might across as arrogant. That's when shit happens.

Apart from the List of Items they issued, I bought a book, Heart of Darfur, to accompany my stay there. If you look at the list of books I bought (Outliers, Blink, Tipping Point, The Last Lecture, Subhas Anadan, etc) , they are somewhat along the same genre. Non-fiction or Autobiographies. I don't know, but I don't seem to take an interest towards other genre. At Borders the other day, I was reading "To Kill A Mockingbird", one of the great literacy reads. I placed it down after 5 mins. Somehow, the part of it being fiction (or not) played a significant role in my choice of books. It's like, the story may be great, but once I realise, "hey this is fiction", it spirals down. The "wow" factor diminishes. Non-fiction on the other hand, leaves me gaping in awe. I always go, "how the heck did he do that?!", why can't I can do it too?

And that I believe, is the beauty of a book. It makes people dream and work for their goals. Take care everyone. I'll be fine in the army. Your friend here is quite zai you know? Hahaha.

No comments: